A number of primarily anticonvulsant drugs have proved effective as mood stabilizers . Lamictal for bipolar disorder is one of the leaders in this group. Like Topamax and Trileptal, Lamictal (lamotrigine) helps to and keep severe depression and bouts of mania at bay by prolonging periods between episodes. Lamictal is not an antidepressant but it i has good antidepressant effects.
According to many doctors Lamictal tends to be one of the most effective for long term treatment of the illness, and more importantly, there are not too many side effects to worry about. The most common side effect reported is the occasional headache, apart from this, it is very unlikely that a patient will experience problems. However there are known rare but dangerous side effects which make it imperative as with all medication to only take the drug as directed by your doctor who you see regularly and keep informed of anything untoward. There is no one size fits all for this type of medication. Everyone reacts differently and getting the right dosage level is accomplished by trial and measuring results so keeping mood charts and recording feelings etc all help in striking the right balance. Lamitctal has been known to cause a serious skin rash requiring hospitalization. Its more likely in children and when taking high dosages and generally follows symptoms like sore throat, fever and facial or tongue swelling. Another potentially serious side effect is the possibility of increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior.
There are many positive reviews from bipolar patients medicated with Lamictal demonstrating just how effective it is in helping towards controlling anti social symptoms of the illness and allowing sufferers to enjoy good, fulfilling lives. What people are saying about Lamictal for bipolar disorder:
- Helps tremendously with bipolar anxiety
- Has erased all thoughts of constant fear of death and scariness from my life every day that were consuming me for no reason.
- I am a healthy, peaceful, and productive person for the first time in my life.
- People are no longer afraid of me. I have had no side effects. This drug has saved my life.
- So far I’m tired after taking it and very thirsty. I do feel good after the drowsiness wears off
- After being unstable for years this medication has changed my life. I have been stable for two years now
Please be aware that positive reviews far outweigh negatives but be aware that while this may be the norm occasionally patients on Lamictal do encounter side effects and it doesn’t work for everyone
- Vivid dreams, nightmares, night terrors, sleep paralysis, frequent awakenings during sleep, thought blocking, memory lapses, word retrieval problems, concentration. Sleep disorders eventually fade but they were certainly debilitating. After 200 mg my mother reported I had strange behavior a few times that I don’t remember
- It works great at first then you have to keep increasing the amount every two weeks. By about a week into each increase I feel like its not working and I feel mania coming on
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner.
This version has a section on bipolar medications to help partners understand side effects etc and how they can help monitor treatment. The book also addresses nurturing the needs of the supporting partner.
When taking Lamictal for bipolar disorder there is a lot that you and your loved ones can do to help with your recovery. The first is to maintain a healthy lifestyle – keep regular sleeping patterns, and most importantly, reduce stress. Secondly, always let your loved ones know about the condition because any signs of a relapse could be serious and it is important for them to know what to look for.